Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Story of Aengus

So.. there was a promise to tell the story behind the next tattoo I want.. Its the Story of Aengus the son of Dagda.. celtic mythology.. (that is my ancestry.. so it is very fitting) ... the first time I ever read this story I was smitten.. then I found the art to go with it and it made it better.. so here ...

The Story of Aengus

Also known as "Angus the young", he was considered the Irish god of love. He was a young handsome god that had four birds flying about his head -- some say they symbolize kisses -- who inspired love in all who heard them. He was the son of Dagda and Boann ~Goddess of the River Boyne and wife of the water god Elcmar.

Once, Aengus was troubled by the dream of a young maiden, He instantly fell in love with her and became love sick. He told his mother Boann and she searched the whole of Ireland for the maiden, but after a year she still had not found the maiden. Then Dagda was called and he searched Ireland for a year, and still did not find the maiden. Finally Bov the Red, king of the Dananns in Munster and Dagda's aide, was called to search and after a year he found the maiden.

Aengus was taken to the lake of the Dragon's Mouth, and there he saw 150 maidens all chained with gold into pairs. He spied her at once and her name was Caer, the daughter of Ethal and Anubal, a prince of the Dananns of Connact. On November first she and all the other maidens are transformed into swans for a year. He was told if he could identify her as a swan he could marry her. On November 1 Aengus went out to the lake and called to his love, and once he had found her he then turned in to a swan himself and joined her. They flew off together singing such a beautiful song that all who heard them fell asleep for three days and nights.


So how could I not want this on my back?.. what a great story !!

posted by ThreeOliveMartini @ Sunday, May 15, 2005  


7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



THREE OLIVES AND SOME YARN

My Photo
Name:
Location: My Old Kentucky Home, KY - Kentucky, United States

still figuring out what I want to be when I grow up...speaking of that .. do I really have to ?


Today I Feel
My Punkymood


I Am A




These Are My


ARCHIVES

RECENT POSTS

  • Flash Your Tattoo...
  • Man What a Day
  • Morning
  • Wasting More Time
  • Yesterday and Today
  • Happy Monday
  • Happy Mother's Day
  • Show and Tell.. but..
  • Proud
  • Happy Cinqo De Mayo
  • Cool Things

    ADAGIO TEA

    Subscribe with Bloglines

    Things I Do



    Image hosting by Photobucket

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





    Image hosting by Photobucket


    | Previous | Next |





    DESIGN


    Witbyt's skins
    Skin Tweaked by Kari
    Blogger
    Blogskins